Desertia Roleplay Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overview

2 posters

Go down

Overview Empty Overview

Post  Col. StaR Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Areta:
Landscape: Lush Folliage
Estimated Population: 150,000 persons
Estimated Age: ~3.6 billion years
Surface Area: 312,095,006 km^2 (60% land, 40% water)
Average day: 18 Hours
Average Year: 416 Days, Local Measurement

Areta is a small, lush, and terrestrial planet in the Xenon system, and one of the only planets left to be protected from further colonization.

Origins and Colonization:
In August 23rd, 2295 AD, a colony ship, on orders to colonize the planet now known as Paragon, suffered from mechanical damage from a debris field and forced to land on the nearest celestial body. With the engines shot, power systems malfunctioning, and the tracking beacon destroyed, the group of 18 families were stranded on the small, undeveloped, and seemingly insignificant planet. Those families were the first colonists on Areta. Surviving with whatever they could salvage and forage for, the families lived simple, primitive lives. They were discovered and rescued in 2297 AD by other Aretian colonists, whom had already colonized another region of the planet months after the original family's landing.

With the GSAF subsidization of the Xenon System to Charles Xenon and his XEM IMC in the year 2313 AD, the stranded pioneers were deemed squatters on their rightful property. Lawsuits and debate broke out regarding who had the proper authority over control of the planet as both sides made their case. In the end, 7 of the initial families decided to take the XEM settlement payment, while 9 of the other families were able to pay XEM's asking price for their region of the planet. 2 other families attempted a peaceful demonstration against XEM's encroachment, but after a violent turn of events, they have since scattered throughout the planet.

Landscape and Wildlife:
Areta's temperate and stable climate made it suitable for the development of life. Due to low tectonic activity and its relatively young age, there are few geographic extremes such as mountain ranges or oceans, but the entire planet consists of rolling hills, several bodies of water, and some man-made geography.

Forests are abundant throughout the planet, as several species of plant life already exist despite the planet's age. Large trees and shrubs vary from region to region, and cover almost all of the planet's surface. Insects and early mammals also exist on the planet, and are incredibly wary of colonization.

Protected Planet Status
Because of rampant colonization and development on humanity's part, the GSAF enacted the Protected Environment Act, which protects regions and environments which are reflective of their original natural state, untouched by human intervention. Areta is the latest to apply to the PEA, and the only environment which encompasses nearly the whole surface of the entire planet. Because of its protected status and the sheer size and lushness of its terrain, Areta is a popular vacation spot for those wishing to escape from the urban sprawl, and is claimed to have some therapeutic effects.

Overview 4879266742_f6e6230afc_b

Last edited by Col. StaR on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Col. StaR
Col. StaR
Chairman of the Administration

Back to top Go down

Overview Empty Re: Overview

Post  DrakoWulf Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Appreciate you doing this bit for me. Only problems I can see however:

1. Only way I can try and rationalize how long it took the colonists to be discovered would be the power failures caused the tracking system to short out. It's not to big a worry, though. It makes sense. Only real issue with this is that I can imagine other colonists would have settled in during the Xenon colonization effort. Possibly on a completely different region of the planet, however.

2. Colonization efforts first began in 2295 for Xenon, and in a mass colonist movement. I doubt the families would have been the first to colonize the system, especially since all colonist advancements need approval from the Department of Planetary Colonization, and a destined course. I don't know where this lone vessel would have been heading, since it seems somewhat irrational to just fly your lone ship out into the void of space.

3. X.E.M. wasn't created and the system named until 2313, not 2300. I'll correct the error.
DrakoWulf
DrakoWulf
Director of IC Affairs

Back to top Go down

Post  Col. StaR Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:31 am

Fixed it up. Thanks for the heads up.
Col. StaR
Col. StaR
Chairman of the Administration

Back to top Go down